Page Last Modified: Apr 14, 2018 @ 1:35 pm

Disclaimer: It is our goal to keep the information on this page, and this website, as up to date as possible. With that said, it is ultimately your responsibility to verify the handgun law in your states of interest. The information on this page is for informational purposes only. The information presented on this page and on this website is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. This content is subject to change without notice. We recommend subscribing to be notified when the content on this page and on this site changes.

Note: The processes listed below apply to the majority of people. If you are active-duty military, honorably discharged military, law enforcement, or retired law enforcement, the processes below may be slightly different (easier) when applying for a concealed carry permit.


Types of Concealed Carry Permits

Note: Wyoming sometimes refers to their concealed carry permits as a concealed firearm permit (CFP)

1) Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must reside in Wyoming for at least 6 months before applying
  • Valid for 5 years
  • Costs $64 (+$Training Course)

Note: Any resident or non-resident that is 18 years old and can legally possess a firearm may open carry. No permit is required in this case.

Note: Any resident that has resided in Wyoming for at least 6 months, is 21 years old, and can legally possess a firearm may concealed carry. No permit is required in this case. Essentially, if you meet the requirements to obtain a Wyoming concealed firearm permit, you may concealed carry without a permit.

Is it Required to Carry Concealed?

N0 – you may open carry or carry concealed with a concealed firearm permit.

May Issue or Shall Issue?

Wyoming is a shall issue state, meaning the law states that they shall issue a permit if you meet all requirements.

Process to Apply

To get a concealed firearm permit in Wyoming, you are required to apply at the sheriff’s office in your county of residence. The applications are processed by the WY Attorney General’s Office.

  1. Complete a WY approved firearm safety or training course. The course must utilize instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy. Generally, the following will satisfy this requirement:
    • Any certified firearm safety or training course that utilizes instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy.
    • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division of law enforcement or security enforcement.
    • Experience with firearms as demonstrated through participation in an organized handgun shooting competition.
    • Experience with firearms as demonstrated through military service.
  2. Print an application online here. Complete the application – make sure you get it notarized. Make 3 copies of your completed application.
  3. Bring the following items to the sheriff’s office in your county of residence to complete the application process:
    • The original as well as 3 copies of your completed application.
    • A copy of the certificate that proves you completed a WY approved firearms training course.
    • Your WY state issued I.D. or driver’s license.
    • Application fee: A cashier’s check or money order for $64 made payable to “DCI” (the Division of Criminal Investigation) or “WY Attorney General’s Office“. Personal checks aren’t accepted.
    • Fingerprinting fee: This fee varies, but should be minimal. The sheriff’s office will tell you exactly how much this costs when you’re there. They should accept various forms of payment for this, including cash and credit/debit cards.
  4. The sheriff’s office will then take a complete set of fingerprints to be used to initiate your criminal background check. The cost of this service varies, but should be minimal.
  5. Take a copy of your application to a Wyoming DOT Driver’s Services office to have your picture taken for the permit. This must be done within 5 days of your application.

After these steps are completed, the Attorney General’s Office is legally required to process the application in 90 days or less. Typically, processing time falls within the 60-90 day window. If approved, your permit will be sent to the sheriff’s office in your county of residence. A denial, whether it be for a new issue or a renewal, may be appealed.

Go here for more instructions on applying directly from the Division of Criminal Investigation.

Reasons an Applicant Won’t Be Approved

Your application is almost guaranteed to be denied if you meet any of the following conditions:

  1. You are illegally in the United States.
  2. You’ve been convicted of a felony.
  3. You’ve been convicted of a violent crime, including domestic violence.
  4. You’ve been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison term greater than 1 year.
  5. You’ve been committed to a facility for the abuse of a controlled substance within the last year.
  6. You’ve been convicted of a misdemeanor related to controlled substances in the last year.
  7. You are subject to a restraining order or other similar court order.
  8. You are a drug addict, habitual drunkard, an unlawful user of any controlled substance, or are determined to be of unsound mind.
  9. You have a mental illness.
  10. You’ve received voluntary or involuntary treatment in a psychiatric hospital, mental institution, or similar treatment facility for any reason.
  11. You are a fugitive from justice.
  12. You’ve been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  13. You are subject to a firearms seizure order.

Location Restrictions for Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a handgun, even if you have a concealed carry permit, in the following locations:

  • Federal buildings.
  • Courthouses.
  • In the State Capitol building.
  • At any meeting of a government entity.
  • At any meeting of the legislature or legislative committee.
  • Federal prisons.
  • Jails, prisons, detention facilities, or correctional facilities.
  • Facilities used primarily for law enforcement operations or administration, i.e. police or sheriff’s stations.
  • The Wyoming boys’ school.
  • The Wyoming girls’ school.
  • Police stations, sheriff’s offices, state patrol stations, or the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of the DOJ.
  • Indian reservations.
  • Post offices.
  • Military bases.
  • School property, including colleges and universities.
  • School functions, including athletics, that aren’t related to firearms.
  • Professional athletic events not related to firearms.
  • The state hospital.
  • Houses of worship.
  • Passed the security checkpoint at airports.
  • Bars, or the portion of any establishment that sells alcohol to be consumed on the premises.
  • Anywhere you decide to consume alcohol. You cannot carry a firearm if you consume any alcohol.

Transporting a Handgun Through & Throughout WY

With a Concealed Carry Permit

If you have a WY or WY recognized concealed carry permit, you may transport a handgun in a vehicle (concealed or open) while it is loaded and on your person.

Without a Concealed Carry Permit – Residents

If you are a resident of WY but do not possess a WY or WY recognized concealed carry permit, may transport a handgun in a vehicle (concealed or open) while it is loaded and on your person (if you legally possess a handgun).

Without a Concealed Carry Permit – Non-Residents

If you aren’t a WY resident, and you do not possess a WY or WY recognized concealed carry permit, you can open carry a loaded handgun on your person in a vehicle (if you legally possess a handgun).

Additional Notes About WY Handgun Law

Does WY Law Incorporate Stand Your Ground?


The Stand Your Ground law permits you to use force, and not retreat, when faced with a threat. Stand Your Ground protects your use of force, even deadly force, when used to protect yourself or others if you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death. To be protected under Stand Your Ground, you must be in a place where you have the lawful right to be.

Does WY Law Incorporate the Castle Doctrine?


The Castle Doctrine is similar to Stand Your Ground. The Castle Doctrine permits you to use force (even deadly force), and not retreat, when you’re in your own home. This again assumes you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death on yourself or others in your home.

This ‘castle’ is sometimes broadened to cover you when you’re in your yard, car, etc. Each state’s Castle Doctrine law is written differently – consult your state’s law to confirm if your state extends the meaning of a ‘castle’ to cover more than just your home.

Reciprocity – What State Permits Does WY Recognize?

WY honors the concealed carry permit of another state so long as all of the following applies:

  1. The permit holder is 18 or older
  2. The state honors the WY concealed carry permit

Therefore, the colored map in the section below shows (1) states that recognize the WY concealed carry permit and (2) state concealed carry permits that WY recognizes.

Go here for more information on reciprocity.

Reciprocity – Where is the WY Permit Recognized?

The WY concealed firearm permit is recognized in the following states:

WY Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

Page Updates

  • April 14, 2018 – WY now recognizes permits issued to those 18 and older in the reciprocity states. Reciprocity section updated.

Subscribe to receive a notice when this page is updated. This will occur if, for instance, the concealed carry handgun law changes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>