Page Last Modified: Nov 4, 2017 @ 2:09 pm

Disclaimer: It is our goal to keep the information on this page, and this website, as up to date as possible. With that said, it is ultimately your responsibility to verify the handgun law in your states of interest. The information on this page is for informational purposes only. The information presented on this page and on this website is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. This content is subject to change without notice. We recommend subscribing to be notified when the content on this page and on this site changes.

Note: The processes listed below apply to the majority of people. If you are active-duty military, honorably discharged military, law enforcement, or retired law enforcement, the processes below may be slightly different (easier) when applying for a concealed carry permit.


Types of Concealed Carry Permits

Note: Oklahoma sometimes refers to their concealed carry permit as a self-defense act license (SDA license).

1) Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must reside in Oklahoma
  • Valid for 5 or 10 years, you choose
  • Costs:
    • 5 Year License: $100 (+$Safety Course)
    • 10 Year License: $200 (+$Safety Course)

Note: If you are 21 years of age or older, can legally possess a firearm, and reside in any permitless carry state, you may open carry in OK. No permit is required in this case.

Is it Required to Carry Concealed?

No – you may open carry or carry concealed with a concealed weapon license.

May Issue or Shall Issue?

Oklahoma is a shall issue state, meaning the law states that they shall issue a permit if you meet all requirements.

Process to Apply

To get an OK SDA license (concealed carry permit), you are required to apply at the sheriff’s office in your county of residence.

  1. Complete an OK approved firearms training course that includes live fire. The course must be an Oklahoma Self-Defense Act certified instructor.
    • Find a certified instructor here.
  2. Apply online here. Or, print an application here.
  3. In the online application portal, upload a color passport style photograph taken of yourself in the last 30 days.
  4. Print the summary sheet after completing the online application.
  5. Bring the following items to the sheriff’s office in your county of residence to complete the process:
    1. The summary sheet from your completed online application.
    2. A copy of the certificate that proves you completed an OK approved handgun training course.
    3. Your OK state issued I.D. or driver’s license.
    4. Application fee: A check or money order for $100 or $200, depending on if you want a 5 or 10 year license. Make the check payable to “Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation“.
    5. Fingerprinting fee: A check or money order for $25 made payable to the sheriff’s office.
    6. Your completed application (Only applicable if you completed the application by hand rather than through the online portal) .
    7. 2 color passport style photographs taken of yourself in the last 30 days. Personally printed photos aren’t accepted. You may be able to get a photo taken at your sheriff’s office (Only applicable if you completed the application by hand rather than through the online portal).
  6. The sheriff’s office will then take 2 complete sets of fingerprints to initiate your criminal background check.

After these steps are completed, if there are no exceptions (i.e. problems arise in your application), the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation will inform you in 60 days or less whether the permit has been approved or denied. If there are exceptions, they’ll inform you in 90 days or less. A denial, whether it be for a new issue or a renewal, may be appealed.

Reasons an Applicant Won’t Be Approved

Your application is almost guaranteed to be denied if you meet any of the following conditions:

  1. You are illegally in the United States.
  2. You’ve been convicted of a felony.
  3. You’ve been convicted of a violent crime, including domestic violence.
  4. You’ve been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison term greater than 1 year.
  5. You’ve been convicted 2 or more times for public intoxication in the last 3 years. You are ineligible for 3 years from the date of the completion of the last sentence.
  6. You’ve been convicted 2 or more times for DUI or intoxication in the last 3 years. You are ineligible for 3 years from the date of the completion of the last sentence.
    • Note: If you provide a certified statement from a licensed physician stating that you are not in need of substance abuse treatment, you may be eligible to apply.
  7. You are subject to a restraining order or other similar court order.
  8. You are a drug addict, habitual drunkard, an unlawful user of any controlled substance, or are determined to be of unsound mind.
  9. You have a mental illness.
  10. You’ve received voluntary or involuntary treatment in a psychiatric hospital, mental institution, or similar treatment facility for any reason.
  11. You are a fugitive from justice.
  12. You’ve been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  13. You are subject to a firearms seizure order.

Location Restrictions for Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a handgun, even if you have a concealed carry permit, in the following locations:

  • Federal buildings.
  • Courthouses.
  • Federal prisons.
  • Jails, prisons, correctional institutions, detention facilities, or anywhere else prisoners are located.
  • Any structure, building, or office space owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public.
  • School grounds, including colleges and universities.
  • Indian reservations.
  • Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law.
  • Any sports arena during a professional sporting event.
  • Post offices.
  • Military bases.
  • Passed the security checkpoint at airports.
  • Bars, or establishments that derive the majority of their revenue from the sale of alcohol to be consumed on the premises.
  • Anywhere you decide to consume alcohol. You cannot carry a firearm if you consume any alcohol.

Transporting a Handgun Through & Throughout OK

With a Concealed Carry Permit

If you have an OK or OK recognized concealed carry permit, you may transport a loaded handgun (concealed or open) on your person in a vehicle. The firearm may not be accessible to children.

Without a Concealed Carry Permit

If you don’t have an OK or OK recognized concealed carry permit, and you legally possess a handgun, you may an unloaded handgun open (unconcealed) in a vehicle. The gun must be transported in plain view, in a wholly or partially visible case designed for carrying firearms, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, or in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of the vehicle.

Additional Notes About OK Handgun Law

Does OK Law Incorporate Stand Your Ground?


The Stand Your Ground law permits you to use force, and not retreat, when faced with a threat. Stand Your Ground protects your use of force, even deadly force, when used to protect yourself or others if you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death. To be protected under Stand Your Ground, you must be in a place where you have the lawful right to be.

Does OK Law Incorporate the Castle Doctrine?


The Castle Doctrine is similar to Stand Your Ground. The Castle Doctrine permits you to use force (even deadly force), and not retreat, when you’re in your own home. This again assumes you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death on yourself or others in your home.

This ‘castle’ is sometimes broadened to cover you when you’re in your yard, car, etc. Each state’s Castle Doctrine law is written differently – consult your state’s law to confirm if your state extends the meaning of a ‘castle’ to cover more than just your home.

Reciprocity – What State Permits Does OK Recognize?

ALL. OK recognizes all other states’ concealed carry permits.

Reciprocity – Where is the OK Permit Recognized?

The OK SDA license (concealed carry permit) is recognized in the following states:

OK SDA License Reciprocity

Subscribe to receive a notice when this page is updated. This will occur if, for instance, the concealed carry handgun law changes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>