Page Last Modified: Mar 3, 2017 @ 8:52 pm

Disclaimer: It is our goal to keep the information on this page, and this website, as up to date as possible. With that said, it is ultimately your responsibility to verify the handgun law in your states of interest. The information on this page is for informational purposes only. The information presented on this page and on this website is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. This content is subject to change without notice. We recommend subscribing to be notified when the content on this page and on this site changes.

Note: The processes listed below apply to the majority of people. If you are active-duty military, honorably discharged military, law enforcement, or retired law enforcement, the processes below may be slightly different (easier) when applying for a concealed carry permit.


Types of Concealed Carry Permits

1) Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must reside in Mississippi for a minimum of 1 year before applying
  • Valid for 5 years
  • Costs $112

Resident with Enhanced Designation

  • Requires an approved training course
  • Enables you to carry in certain places that are otherwise off-limits to carry

Note: Any resident or non-resident that is 18 years old and can legally possess a firearm may concealed or open carry. No permit is required in this case.

Is it Required to Carry Concealed?

No – you may open carry or carry concealed.

May Issue or Shall Issue?

Mississippi is a shall issue state, meaning the law states that they shall issue a permit if you meet all requirements.

Process to Apply

Normal Permit

To get a concealed carry permit in Mississippi, you can apply at the Department of Public Safety Headquarters, or at any Highway Patrol Station.

  1. Print the application online here.
  2. Complete the application and have it notarized.
  3. Find the address of the Department of Public Safety Headquarters or a local Highway Patrol Station, along with their hours of operation here.
  4. Bring the following items to the location you found in step 3 to complete the process:
    • Your completed, notarized application.
    • Your MS state issued I.D. or driver’s license.
    • 1 other form of identification from the following list:
      1. Social security card.
      2. Birth certificate.
      3. Marriage license.
      4. Divorce decree.
      5. Military discharge DD214.
      6. Military I.D.
      7. Passport.
      8. W-2 form.
      9. Current firearm permit.
      10. Other official government I.D.
    • A photograph of yourself from the past 30 days from the shoulders up. This should be passport style (2 inches x 2 inches).
    • Application fee: $80, various forms of payment are accepted.
    • Fingerprint processing fee: $32, various forms of payment are accepted.
  5. The department will then take a complete set of fingerprints to conduct a criminal background investigation.

After these steps are completed, the Department of Public Safety is legally required to inform you in 45 days or less whether the permit has been approved or denied. A denial, whether it be for a new issue or a renewal, may be appealed.

Permit with Enhanced Designation

To get an enhanced designation on your permit, you are required to take a firearm training course offered by a Mississippi Department of Public Safety certified instructor. Having an enhanced endorsement on your permit will allow you to carry in most prohibited places listed in the Location Restrictions for Carrying section below. However, you still can’t carry anywhere prohibited federally, or police or sheriff’s stations, highway patrol stations, jails, prisons, or detention facilities.

Find a Mississippi Department of Public Safety certified instructor here.

Once you complete the training course, bring the certificate of completion along with your current MS concealed carry permit to any location that issues carry permits. Here, they will apply the endorsement sticker to your license.

Reasons an Applicant Won’t Be Approved

If the applicant meets any of the following conditions, his/her application is almost guaranteed to be denied:

  1. You are illegally in the United States.
  2. You’ve been convicted of a felony.
  3. You’ve been convicted of a violent crime, including domestic violence.
  4. You’ve been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison term greater than 1 year.
  5. You’ve been convicted of 2 or more offenses related to the use of alcohol within the last 3 years.
  6. You are subject to a restraining order or other similar court order.
  7. You are a drug addict, habitual drunkard, an unlawful user of any controlled substance, or are determined to be of unsound mind.
  8. You have a mental illness.
  9. You’ve received voluntary or involuntary treatment in a psychiatric hospital, mental institution, or similar treatment facility for any reason.
  10. You’ve been ordered by a court to complete an alcohol or substance abuse treatment program in the last 3 years.
  11. You are a fugitive from justice.
  12. You’ve been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  13. You are subject to a firearms seizure order.

Location Restrictions for Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a handgun, even if you have a concealed carry permit, in the following locations:

  • Federal buildings.
  • Federal prisons.
  • Jails, prisons, or detention facilities.
  • Courthouses.
  • Police or sheriff’s offices.
  • Highway patrol stations.
  • Indian reservations.
  • Post offices.
  • A meeting place of a governing body, including the Legislature and legislative committee meetings.
  • Military bases.
  • School property.
  • A school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms.
  • Polling places.
  • Places of worship.
  • Passed the security checkpoint at airports.
  • Bars, or establishments or the areas of establishments primarily devoted to dispensing alcohol to be consumed on the premises.
  • Anywhere you decide to consume alcohol. You cannot carry a firearm if you consume any alcohol.
  • Any place declared a ‘place of nuisance’ because of illegal activity.

Transporting a Handgun Through & Throughout MS

Whether you have a concealed carry permit or not, as long as you can legally possess a handgun you may transport a loaded handgun on your person (open or concealed) in a vehicle.

Additional Notes About MS Handgun Law

Does MS Law Incorporate Stand Your Ground?


The Stand Your Ground law permits you to use force, and not retreat, when faced with a threat. Stand Your Ground protects your use of force, even deadly force, when used to protect yourself or others if you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death. To be protected under Stand Your Ground, you must be in a place where you have the lawful right to be.

Does MS Law Incorporate the Castle Doctrine?


The Castle Doctrine is similar to Stand Your Ground. The Castle Doctrine permits you to use force (even deadly force), and not retreat, when you’re in your own home. This again assumes you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death on yourself or others in your home.

This ‘castle’ is sometimes broadened to cover you when you’re in your yard, car, etc. Each state’s Castle Doctrine law is written differently – consult your state’s law to confirm if your state extends the meaning of a ‘castle’ to cover more than just your home.

Reciprocity – What State Permits Does MS Recognize?

ALL. MS honors every other states’ concealed carry permits.

Reciprocity – Where is the MS Permit Recognized?

The MS concealed carry permit is recognized in the following states:

MS Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity

Subscribe to receive a notice when this page is updated. This will occur if, for instance, the concealed carry handgun law changes.

  1. Hi Jodi-

    No you do not have to take the class as an honorably discharged veteran. You’ll need to present evidence of your honorable discharge; currently, Mississippi will accept any of the following to meet this criteria:

    your DD214 (with honorable discharge), a ‘vet’ designation on your driver’s license, a copy of your retired military ID (if you have one), or a form from the Veteran’s Affairs board.

  2. Hello, I have took an enhanced carry class for the enhanced carry endorsements some time ago. I have not had time to get the EC sticker on my permit. How long do I have until the endorsement expires? Thanks.

  3. James W. Bailey, Jr.

    I did not receive my re-certification packet in the mail. Why not? How can we change this to get it in the mail? I understand that now I have to go to the DMV and get packet, fill it out with photo, notorized and get fingerprinted (again).

    • Hi James-

      I’m not sure why you didn’t receive it in the mail – have you changed your address since getting your permit? If so, did you notify the Department of Public Safety? They could have the wrong address on file.

      Re-fingerprinting is actually required every other five year renewal anyways in Mississippi, so that sucks but you would’ve had to do it eventually anyways.

  4. Carl Hickman Jones did not receive his renewal application for the concealed carry permit. Could you please email a renewal application for him to my email address?

    Number 001002980 Expires 04/11/2018 Issue Date 04/11/2013

  5. I received my new permit and it is marked INSTRUCTOR CERTIFIED rather than ENHANCED CARRY. What is the difference?

  6. Mark-

    I know MS will add an ‘enhanced’ sticker once they’re presented with the evidence that you completed the safety course. I don’t know if ‘enhanced’ is ever printed directly on the permits. I’d recommend contacting the Department of Public Safety for more info.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>