Page Last Modified: Aug 14, 2018 @ 7:24 pm

Disclaimer: It is our goal to keep the information on this page, and this website, as up to date as possible. With that said, it is ultimately your responsibility to verify the handgun law in your states of interest. The information on this page is for informational purposes only. The information presented on this page and on this website is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. This content is subject to change without notice. We recommend subscribing to be notified when the content on this page and on this site changes.

Note: The processes listed below apply to the majority of people. If you are active-duty military, honorably discharged military, law enforcement, or retired law enforcement, the processes below may be slightly different (easier) when applying for a concealed carry permit.


Types of Concealed Carry Permits

1) Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must reside in Kansas
  • Valid for 4 years
  • Costs $112.00 (+$Training course)

Note: Any resident or non-resident that is 21 years old and can legally possess a firearm may concealed or open carry. No permit is required in this case.

Note: Any resident or non-resident that is 18 years old and can legally possess a firearm may open carry. No permit is required in this case.

Is it Required to Carry Concealed?

No – you may open carry or carry concealed.

May Issue or Shall Issue?

Kansas is a shall issue state, meaning the law states that they shall issue a permit if you meet all requirements.

Process to Apply

To get a concealed carry permit in Kansas, you will apply through the sheriff’s office in your county of residence. The sheriff’s office will then forward your application to the Kansas Attorney General.

  1. Complete a KS approved firearm training course. Check with your local sheriff’s office or the Kansas Attorney General’s office to ensure the course you take is approved. Training may not be required if you are retired law enforcement, or if you received training to obtain a concealed carry permit in another state.
    • The official Kansas certified instructor list is here.
  2. Print an application here. Bring the following items with you to the sheriff’s office in your county of residence:
    • Your completed application.
    • A copy of the certificate that proves you completed a KS approved handgun competency course.
    • A copy of your KS state issued I.D. or driver’s license.
    • A color frontal photograph of yourself from the past 30 days. The photo must be passport style (2 inches by 2 inches) from the shoulders up.
    • Attorney General’s Fee: A check or money order for $79.50 made payable to “Office of the Attorney General“.
    • Local Sheriff’s Fee: A check or money order for $32.50 made payable to “Sheriff of ________ County“.
  3. After turning in the application and other items, the sheriff’s office will take a complete set of fingerprints. These are needed to initiate a criminal background check.
  4. After these steps are completed, the Kansas Attorney General is legally required to inform you in 90 days or less whether the permit has been approved or denied. You will be notified by mail.
  5. If approved, bring your approval letter to a state driver’s license station to get your license printed.
    1. Note: You will required to pay a fee to the Department of Revenue to get your license; this fee varies.

Reasons an Applicant Won’t Be Approved

If the applicant meets any of the following conditions, his/her application is almost guaranteed to be denied:

  1. You are illegally in the United States.
  2. You’ve been convicted of a felony.
  3. You’ve been convicted of a violent crime, including domestic violence.
  4. You’ve been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison term greater than 1 year.
  5. You’ve been adjudicated as a juvenile for a crime that would be a felony if committed by an adult, even if expunged.
  6. You are subject to a restraining order or other similar court order.
  7. You are a drug addict, habitual drunkard, an unlawful user of any controlled substance, or are determined to be of unsound mind.
  8. You have a mental illness.
  9. You’ve received voluntary or involuntary treatment in a psychiatric hospital, mental institution, or similar treatment facility for any reason.
  10. You’ve been ordered by a court to complete an alcohol or substance abuse treatment program in the last 3 years.
  11. You are a fugitive from justice.
  12. You’ve been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  13. You are subject to a firearms seizure order.

Location Restrictions for Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a handgun, even if you have a concealed carry permit, in the following locations:

  • Federal buildings.
  • Federal prisons.
  • Any mental health center or health care clinic
  • Indian reservations.
  • Post offices.
  • Military bases.
  • Correctional facilities, jails, and law enforcement agencies.
  • On any school property, unless you have permission from the school district.
  • Passed the security checkpoint at airports.
  • Anywhere you decide to consume alcohol. You cannot carry a firearm if you consume any alcohol.

Note: Any location that prohibits carrying a firearm must be posted with approved signage as defined by the Attorney General. The following constitutes approved signage:

  1. Signs are posted at all entrances to the buildings that prohibit firearms.
  2. Signs are posted at eye level of adults using the entrance, and not more than 12 inches to the right or left of such entrance.
  3. The signs cannot be obstructed or altered.
  4. Signs that become illegible must be immediately replaced.

Transporting a Handgun Through & Throughout KS

Whether you have a concealed carry permit or not, as long as you can legally possess a handgun, you may transport a loaded handgun on your person (open or concealed) in a vehicle.

Additional Notes About KS Handgun Law

Does KS Law Incorporate Stand Your Ground?


The Stand Your Ground law permits you to use force, and not retreat, when faced with a threat. Stand Your Ground protects your use of force, even deadly force, when used to protect yourself or others if you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death. To be protected under Stand Your Ground, you must be in a place where you have the lawful right to be.

Does KS Law Incorporate the Castle Doctrine?


The Castle Doctrine is similar to Stand Your Ground. The Castle Doctrine permits you to use force (even deadly force), and not retreat, when you’re in your own home. This again assumes you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death on yourself or others in your home.

This ‘castle’ is sometimes broadened to cover you when you’re in your yard, car, etc. Each state’s Castle Doctrine law is written differently – consult your state’s law to confirm if your state extends the meaning of a ‘castle’ to cover more than just your home.

Reciprocity – What State Permits Does KS Recognize?

ALL. KS honors every other states’ concealed carry permits. However, you must be 21 years old or older for your permit to be honored.

Reciprocity – Where is the KS Permit Recognized?

The KS concealed carry permit is recognized in the following states:

Kansas Reciprocity 24Feb2018

Page Updates

  • July 1, 2017 – Mental health centers/clinics added to location restrictions for carrying
  • February 24, 2018 – Map updated – KS permit honored in DE.
  • August 14, 2018 – Fee to apply changed – updated above where applicable.


Subscribe to receive a notice when this page is updated. This will occur if, for instance, the concealed carry handgun law changes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>