Page Last Modified: Mar 3, 2017 @ 8:50 pm

Disclaimer: It is our goal to keep the information on this page, and this website, as up to date as possible. With that said, it is ultimately your responsibility to verify the handgun law in your states of interest. The information on this page is for informational purposes only. The information presented on this page and on this website is not legal advice, and should not be treated as such. This content is subject to change without notice. We recommend subscribing to be notified when the content on this page and on this site changes.

Note: The processes listed below apply to the majority of people. If you are active-duty military, honorably discharged military, law enforcement, or retired law enforcement, the processes below may be slightly different (easier) when applying for a concealed carry permit.


Types of Concealed Carry Permits

Note: Connecticut (CT) sometimes refers to their concealed carry permit as a pistol permit.

1) Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must reside in Connecticut
  • Valid for 5 years
  • Costs $70 (+$Safety Course)

2) Non-Resident

  • Must be a minimum of 21 years old to apply
  • Must be a U.S. citizen
  • Must already hold a license to carry a handgun issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction
  • Valid for 5 years
  • Costs $135 (+$Safety Course)

Is it Required to Carry Concealed?

No – you may open carry or carry concealed with a concealed carry permit.

May Issue or Shall Issue?

Connecticut is a may issue state, meaning the law states that they may issue a permit if you meet all requirements.

Process to Apply – Residents

To get a resident state permit in CT, you actually must first get a local concealed carry permit (sometimes referred to as a temporary state permit). Don’t worry, this does not mean multiple applications, fingerprint checks, or background checks. Getting the local permit is the greater undertaking – the state permit is quick once you have the local.

Step 1: Getting the Local (Temporary) Permit

  1. Complete a handgun safety course that includes live fire. The Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU) specifically states that this course be no less than the NRA’s Basic Pistol Course. 
    • Note: CT is picky about which courses are approved. Check with the SLFU before taking anything other than the NRA’s Basic Pistol Course to ensure the course you take is approved.
  2. Pick up an application from the police department, first selectman’s office, or city/town hall in the town of your residence. Inquire about any specific requirements set forth by your town. Some towns require various other items to accompany your application, such as personal references and letters of recommendation.
  3. The following steps are required to complete your application. Typically, these steps can be completed in 1 visit to your local police department. The costs, usually minimal, vary depending on the department.
    • Turn in the certificate that proves you completed a CT approved handgun safety course. Some departments accept copies, others require the original certificate.
    • Present your CT state issued I.D. or driver’s license.
    • Present a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. Passport, Alien Registration number (with 90-day proof of residency), or other legal documentation that proves you are lawfully in the United States.
    • Complete an interview with the local police department (required in most towns).
  4. After turning in this paperwork, the department will take a complete set of fingerprints to initiate a criminal background check.

After these steps are completed, the department processing the application is legally required to inform you in 8 weeks or less whether the permit has been approved or denied. A denial, whether it be for a new issue or a renewal, may be appealed within 90 days. Appeal all denials to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners.

Step 2: Getting the State Permit

  1. After receiving the local permit, bring the permit to the SLFU’s main office at State Police Headquarters, or to 1 of the 2 satellite locations listed below.
    • The state permit will cost $70. This is the one that lasts for 5 years.

Locations to Get the State Permit

Special Licensing & Firearms Unit – HQ
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457
Tel. (860) 685-8290

Troop G – Bridgeport
149 Prospect Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Tel. (203) 696-2532

Troop E – Montville
I-395 North (Between exits 6 & 9)
Montville, CT 06382
Tel. (860) 848-6539

Process to Apply – Non-Residents

To get a non-resident state permit in CT, you will apply directly to the CT State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit (SLFU). Call the SLFU directly at 860-685-8494 to request an application via mail. This application will include all forms and fingerprint cards that need to be completed and returned.

Complete and return the application with the following included:

  1. A copy of the certificate that proves you completed a CT approved handgun safety course.
    • Note: CT is picky about which courses are approved. Check with the SLFU before taking anything other than the NRA’s Basic Pistol Course to ensure the course you take is approved.
  2. A copy of some form of documentation proving you are lawfully in the United States. This can be a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. Passport, or Alien Registration number (with 90-day proof of residency).
  3. A copy of your existing license to carry a handgun, issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction.
  4. A copy of your state issued photo identification card. This is typically a driver’s license.
  5. A photograph of yourself, in color. This needs to be passport style (2 inches x 2 inches).
  6. Completed State of CT and Federal fingerprint card.
  7. Criminal history background check fees: two separate checks or money orders for $50 and $14.75 made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut
  8. Application fee: a check or money order for $70 made payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut

Reasons an Applicant Won’t Be Approved

If you meet any of the following conditions, your application is almost guaranteed to be denied:

  1. You are illegally in the United States.
  2. You’ve been convicted of a felony.
  3. You’ve been convicted of a violent crime, including domestic violence.
  4. You’ve been convicted of a crime punishable by a prison term greater than 1 year.
  5. You are subject to a restraining order or other similar court order.
  6. You are a drug addict, habitual drunkard, an unlawful user of any controlled substance, or are determined to be of unsound mind.
  7. You have a mental illness.
  8. You’ve received voluntary or involuntary treatment in a psychiatric hospital, mental institution, or similar treatment facility for any reason.
  9. You’ve been ordered by a court to complete an alcohol or substance abuse treatment program in the last 3 years.
  10. You are a fugitive from justice.
  11. You’ve been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
  12. You are subject to a firearms seizure order.
  13. You’ve been convicted as a delinquent for a serious juvenile offense (as defined in section 46b-120).
  14. You’ve been discharged from custody in the last 20 years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect (pursuant to section 53a-13).
  15. You’ve been convicted of any of the following misdemeanors:
    1. Illegal possession of narcotics or other controlled substances.
    2. Criminally negligent homicide.
    3. Assault in the third degree.
    4. Assault of a victim 60 or older in the third degree.
    5. Threatening.
    6. Reckless endangerment in the first degree.
    7. Unlawful restraint in the second degree.
    8. Riot in the first degree.
    9. Riot in the second degree.
    10. Inciting to riot.
    11. Stalking in the second degree.

Location Restrictions for Carrying

It is unlawful to carry a handgun, even if you have a concealed carry permit, in the following locations:

  • Federal buildings.
  • Courthouses.
  • Federal prisons.
  • Indian reservations.
  • Post offices.
  • Military bases.
  • On any school property.
  • Passed the security checkpoint at airports.
  • Anywhere you decide to consume alcohol. You cannot carry a firearm if you consume any alcohol.
  • In any house of the General Assembly (General Assembly = House of Representatives and the Senate).
  • Anywhere any General Assembly member, officer, employee, or committee has an official office.
  • Anywhere any General Assembly committee is holding a public hearing.
  • Anywhere cities and towns have passed ordinances that restrict the concealed carry of firearms. Most cities and towns have not established ordinances that outlaw locations other than those mentioned in 1-4 above.

Transporting a Handgun Through & Throughout CT

With a Concealed Carry Permit

If you have a CT concealed carry permit, you may transport a handgun in a vehicle while it is loaded and on your person.

Without a Concealed Carry Permit

If you do not possess a CT concealed carry permit, you are eligible to transport a handgun through (from another state into CT) and throughout (within CT) the state in the following cases:

  • You are transporting the handgun from the place of sale to the purchaser’s residence or place of business. The handgun must be in the exact packaging from the time of sale.
  • You are in the process of moving.
  • You are bringing the handgun somewhere to be repaired.
  • You are returning the handgun to the owner after a repair.
  • You are transporting an antique handgun.
  • You are participating in formal training, a competition, or an organized collectors’ group meeting. In this case, you must possess a license to carry a handgun issued by a recognized United States jurisdiction in your state of residence.

If your transportation falls into one of the cases above, you must abide by the following guidelines when transporting the handgun:

  • You must legally possess the firearm.
  • The firearm must be unloaded and secured.
  • The firearm (and ammunition) cannot be readily accessible by the driver or any passengers.
  • The firearm and the ammunition cannot be stored in the glove compartment or passenger console.
  • If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the glove compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be stored locked within a compartment/container that is securely affixed to the vehicle’s interior.

Additional Notes About CT Handgun Law

Does CT Law Incorporate Stand Your Ground?


The Stand Your Ground law permits you to use force, and not retreat, when faced with a threat. Stand Your Ground protects your use of force, even deadly force, when used to protect yourself or others if you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death. To be protected under Stand Your Ground, you must be in a place where you have the lawful right to be.

Does CT Law Incorporate the Castle Doctrine?


The Castle Doctrine is similar to Stand Your Ground. The Castle Doctrine permits you to use force (even deadly force), and not retreat, when you’re in your own home. This again assumes you reasonably believe there is an imminent threat of serious harm or death on yourself or others in your home.

This ‘castle’ is sometimes broadened to cover you when you’re in your yard, car, etc. Each state’s Castle Doctrine law is written differently – consult your state’s law to confirm if your state extends the meaning of a ‘castle’ to cover more than just your home.

Magazine Capacity

Large Capacity Magazines, i.e. any magazine that can accept greater than 10 rounds of ammunition are banned in CT.

Reciprocity – What State Permits Does CT Recognize?

None. CT does not honor any other states’ permits.

Reciprocity – Where is the CT Permit Recognized?

The CT concealed carry permit is recognized in the following states:


CT Pistol Permit Reciprocity

Subscribe to receive a notice when this page is updated. This will occur if, for instance, the concealed carry handgun law changes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>